Monday, June 29, 2009

excitement!

I have news - Rob and I are engaged! :-) I haven't stopped grinning since Saturday morning when he asked me. We've spent a lot of the last few days cleaning Rob's flat as he's just moved out. On Friday night, we were cleaning until very late and I was pretty exhausted; I even curled up to sleep on the bathroom floor. So Rob suggested I sleep in on Saturday morning and he'd pick me up at lunch time and take me for a walk.

On Saturday, he turned up at my house at 10.30, when I was just awake and dressed and insisted that we had to go for a walk now, as it was going to pour with rain later. I rushed out, half awake, but happy when he suggested going to Beechwoods, my favourite spot. We wandered around the woods, holding hands, enjoying the peacefulness (and spotting dogs) and Rob began telling me how much he loved me and lots of other wonderful things. As we kissed, he complained that I'd smooshed up his glasses (as usually happens) and pulled his glasses cleaning cloth out of his pocket. As he did, out fell a ring! He went down on one knee and asked if I would marry him. Delighted, I said "Yes!"

We stood in the woods and hugged and kissed and then got jumped at by an over enthusiastic Labrador, which made me laugh out loud. Who knows what the dog walkers thought.

Rob's proposal was a surprise in the timing, though not completely unexpected. We've been talking about marriage for a while. We went to the jewellery quarter in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago and chose an engagement ring, which was being made for us. I thought it wasn't yet ready, but it was, and Rob drove to Birmingham early on Friday morning to collect it. He was even more tired than I was, so after going out for lunch, we spent most of the rest of the day sleeping and generally lounging about. Sunday was divided between church (and many congratulations) and more cleaning and packing. Somehow, that seemed appropriate - a weekend of romance and hard work, being lovey-dovey and being a team, working together. I hope it's a good sign for the years to come.

10 comments:

Liz said...

Congratulations! Best wishes for many years of happiness.

Lara said...

That's a lovely story. It's wonderful to find someone that you can have romance with but still work as a team on the mundane things in life. If you can take joy in that together, that's definitely a good sign for the years to come! Congratulations again. I'm so happy for both of you!

And I think it's very cool that you met through your blog (that's what happened, right?) That's how I met my husband!!

Mary deB said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful news. Your family will have lots of practice in this wedding business, won't they!

Cristina said...

Bekki, many congratulations! What an exciting weekend! Let the planning begin. :-)

ChristyF said...

Very excited for you Bekki! Congrats and best wishes for you both.

Lauren said...

yay!!!! This is so exciting! I knew it couldn't be long! so exciting!!!!!!

Jacqueline said...

Yaaay! Many congratulations! Very happy for you both! Exciting x

Amrita said...

Thrilled to hear this congrats both of you

Debs said...

yay for my big sister
(and did you notice how I carefully didn't break your news for me on my blog!)

Rosie said...

Congratulations: here's to many years of wooodland walks and wonderful surprises.