Thursday, January 02, 2014

7 weeks, 1 day

I went back to work today. It's a shock to leave hibernation mode and have to be awake at 7:15 in the dark to be in the office by 9. I've changed my hours from 4 days of 5.5 hours to 3 days of 7.33 hours. This gives me 2 days off in the week, which I am looking forward to, but it will mean getting up and going home in the dark, at least for the next couple of months.

There have been small exciting things. I told my GP on Wednesday and she was happy for me. I saw a midwife for the first time and made appointments for blood tests and a longer 'booking' appointment. I filled in parts of the handheld notes I have to take to every appointment. I have noticed my heightened sense of smell and dislike of some smells - overflowing bins, unsmoked bacon. I have gone off coffee for breakfast. I'm not sure how far this is psychological - knowing I need to limit caffeine - and how far it is a genuine aversion. I certainly feel hungrier at breakfast and coffee on a relatively empty stomach makes me jittery.

I'm not feeling sick, so far, beyond the odd queasiness at smells. I'm not sure whether to be grateful or alarmed. I am very tired. My breasts are sore. I feel more hungry than usual, though I'm under strict instructions from Rob that I'm not to overeat. The medical appointments make everything feel more real. This is happening. It's happening to me.

No comments: