Saturday, October 27, 2007

mutability

Whenever I go clothes shopping, I feel like a shape shifter. For one thing, I am smaller than I used to be. But still, guessing which size I am now and therefore which garments might fit is always tricky. In one shop or brand I'm one size, in another, something different. Add in the fact that I'm more than common tall, and sometimes it feels like nothing looks right. With each new top or skirt or pair of jeans, my body seems to shift and grow or shrink like Alice. I know it's the clothes that are variable, rather than me, but still, it's an unsettling feeling, as if my limbs and torso don't quite belong. A cropped jacket, for instance, looks totally ridiculous, flapping somewhere at the level of my bust and making me look like an overgrown toddler. Jeans that gap at the waist or bag at the crotch or are too short or (wonder of wonders) too long or just plain wrong.

I went shopping for jeans and failed to find any I liked. I did, however, find a hooded sweatshirt that was miraculously long enough in the arms and body and, though it has a kangaroo pocket, it's placed low enough that it doesn't look silly (sometimes they're placed so high they start just under the bust on me, most unflattering). And I bought new pyjamas, which are blessedly easy to get to fit, since they're fairly baggy and I don't care too much if the arms and legs are the right length.

3 comments:

Amrita said...

I also have a problem with reaaymade clothes, specially western outfits. Getting them stitched at the tailors is better, in India you can do that quite cheaply.

Amrita said...

In Britain people don 't celebrate halloween do they?
you all celebrate Guy Fawkes Day which is not sinister.And there is a historical reason behind it...the Oliver Cromwell story.

Pig wot flies said...

Hi Amrita.
Actually people do celebrate Halloween, mostly with dressing up to party and go trick or treating. I'm not a big fan of it.
Guy Fawkes night has a historical root, but it isn't Cromwell, it's the foiled attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament (with King James I inside) in 1605.