Thursday, January 19, 2006

hallelujah

I went to a practice of the choir in the village for the first time last night. It was brilliant! I haven't sung in a decent choir in ages, not really since my chapel choir is Oxford. There have been choirs since then, but not very taxing ones. This feels like a proper choir that will stretch my singing. We're doing parts 2 and 3 of Handel's Messiah for a concert at the end of March. The first thing we sang last night was the Hallelujah chorus, which I've sung before, it's the bit everyone knows really and then the rehearsal zipped along through lots of unfamiliar sections. Loads of high fast semi-quavers to learn. Hooray! I'm hoping it'll literally strecth my range and I'll get my high notes back. I can't do really stratospheric, but I used to be able to get a high A fairly reliably, maybe a Bflat on a good day. Without practice, I've got rusty.

Cycling home last night, I realised how much I like living within cycling distance of so many things. I can cycle to work, into town, to choir practice, to the Co-op and a mini Tescos. Cycling to church is a little bit beyond me. Actually, I just looked it up and it's only 4.4 miles, so might be do-able soon, although some of those roads are pretty big and scary. Yay for villages and yay for Cambridge and its cycle lanes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh to tha yeah to tha BABY for (a) Cambridge cycle lanes and (b) singing!